Frequently Asked Questions

In what areas does the MPC have jurisdiction?

The MPC provides planning services only to the City of Savannah and unincorporated Chatham County. The incorporated towns within Chatham County are listed below with the planning contact information listed for each.

Bloomingdale: 912-748-0970

Garden City: 912-966-7777

Pooler: 912-748-7261

Port Wentworth: 912-964-4379

Thunderbolt: 912-354-5533

Tybee Island: 912-786-4573

Vernonburg: 912-790-7660

How do I get an address assigned for a property?

Contact Development Services staff to obtain an address for an existing property. You will need to provide the Property Identification Number (PIN) for that property. There is no fee or application for this service.

What is a Development of Regional Impact (DRI)?

A Development of Regional Impact (DRI) is a large-scale development that is likely to have an impact beyond the jurisdiction in which it is located. The Georgia Department of Community Affairs (DCA) is required to review these large-scale projects. Review procedures are designed to improve communication between affected governments and to provide a means of revealing and assessing potential impacts of large-scale developments. The local government maintains the authority to make the final decision on whether a proposed development will or will not go forward. For information on what qualifies a project as a DRI, click here.

How do I determine the zoning of my property?

There are several ways to find out how a property is zoned. You will need the address or Property Identification Number (PIN) for the property. You can:

a) Go to the SAGIS Property Map Viewier and enter in either the PIN or address of the property in the property search column. When the property is mapped, information about the property, including the zoning, will be listed on the left side of the page.

b) Call or visit the MPC Information Services & Mapping Department or a Development Services Planner.

c) Only the Zoning Administrators in the City of Savannah Development Services Department and the Chatham County Building Safety and Regulatory Services Department can issue/state the "official" zoning of a property. These departments also issue zoning verification letters.

If you require additional assistance, please contact Development Services staff at 912-651-1440.